Wednesday, January 22, 2014

glitter candle holder

Hello!  Welcome to my blog & first post!!  Keep reading to for recipes, crafts, fashion & random ramblings.

  It's snowy & freezing today & I have the day off, so I decided to work on some pinterest crafts that have been piling up.  Valentines day is less than a month away, so I've been on a pink glittery heart kick as of late.

Today I made glitter candle holders - SO. EASY.  Make a few for yourself, and give them out to friends.  I used 2 different methods to see which one would turn out better.





Materials - 

- small jars (I used baby food jars)
- tea light candles /any size to fit in your jar
- glitter
- small dish
- modge podge
-foam brush
-newspaper to cover your table (glitter is messy!)
-masking tape /or other tape that is easily removable 


Method 1 

1. Pop tea light into jar & light until just melted.

2. Set up your area - glitter in dish



 3. Tape off where you want the glitter to be.  I just wanted glitter on the bottom half, so I eyeballed it and taped off the top half.
 4. Apply modge podge all around the bottom of the jar

5. go glitter crazy! Coat the jar with copious amounts of glitter


 6.  Remove tape


 7. Ta da!  Let dry & think of everything else you can glitterize! (sure that's a real word)


Method 2

I noticed that the glitter was flaking off slightly (I also was impatient and couldn't wait for it to dry)  So this method will ensure your glitter isn't budging.

The set up is exactly the same (pour glitter in a bowl) except this time you're going to pour a bit of modge podge into the glitter mix to create GLITTER GLUE.  I know,  I know ground breaking.  It's magical. 


 1. just spread the glitter glue mix all over the glass, below the tape.  It may look like a hot gluey mess but trust me, it dries clear.
2. Exhibit A: hot gluey glittery mess

3. Take off tape (before the glue dries)


4. Ta da!!

So you decide which one you like better - either way you're going to get a pretty sparkly candle :)

Okay I'm off to find the next thing I can cover in glitter!

x Sara



No comments:

Post a Comment