Sunday, February 9, 2014

Happy Hearts

With Valentine's day being this week, I have another project to show I've been working on to show my love.  happy hearts

For Christmas, my Mom gave me the heart on the left.  I loved how rustic and simple it was, and was inspired to make some of my own.  I just started sewing the one on the right -- it is called the blanket stitch.  I tried a few different ways of tying the top loop, but I like the yarn the best.






What you'll need:

-multi colors of felt
-embroidery thread
-large sewing needle
-ribbon or yarn
-scissors
-cotton balls

top row (l-r) a & b // bottom row (l-r) c & d
I should mention before giving you instructions that I'm a lefty, so if you're a righty, you may want to do this the opposite way, whatever feels comfortable

I found an extended version of the instructions here, - so check it out it my steps sound confusing!


1.  Fold felt in half & draw half of a heart.  Cut out. (a)  Use as a template to cut out a second heart
2.  Thread the needle & tie a knot at the end of the thread.  Take the top layer of one of the hearts and thread up through the bottom, pulling thought until knot is secure.
3.  Place both hearts directly on top of each other.  (b) The knot will be between both layers, so you won't be able to see it.
4.  Loop the thread over the seam and back up through the original hole, pull to complete stitch.
5.  Taking the needle, lead it through the stitch you just made to the left. (c)
6.   Bring the needle up through both layers
7.  Place a finger in the loop and lead the needle over and then under the thread on the right side.
8.  Repeat steps 5- 7 until you have about 2 inches of heart left.
9.  Stuff with cotton balls
10.  Pull tight to close and continue stitching
11.  End by looping thread securely around the original stitch & cutting loose ends.
12.  Finally take a piece of thread, ribbon, yarn etc and loop it through the top center of heart.

And there you have it - happy hearts.  Now you can hang them, keep some for yourself & give them to people you love.


Have a wonderful week & Happy Valentine's Day!

xx Sara




No comments:

Post a Comment