Sunday, February 16, 2014

Almond Coconut Macaroons

I love cookbooks.  When I'm at a book store the first area I check out is the cookbook section.  I read a few recipes and check out the pictures.  Once I actually buy a cookbook,  I read the whole thing cover to cover - including the introduction.  I love reading about different ingredients, how to measure certain things and new techniques.  I've acquired quite a few cookbooks in the last few years, but the really special ones are gifts from people who rave about their cookbook, and want me to try out a few of their favorite recipes.  

Recently, my Aunt & Uncle sent me the Standard Baking co: Pastries cookbook.  They know my love of baking & told me this was their favorite bakery in Portland, ME.  They recommended the fruit & nut granola bars -- which look absolutely delicious.  After reading though the cookie section, I saw a coconut macaroon recipe that I just had to try.  Macaroons remind me of my brother because growing up, we'd try to sneak them into our grocery cart every time we went to Henry's Market -- along with those champagne cookies with sprinkles.


I followed the recipe & these came out perfectly! So delicious I just had to share.  So quick and easy, you can throw these together in less than 30 minutes.

*The recipe says it makes 40 - 42 macaroons, I got 20 and they were just the right size, but feel free to make them smaller.  Mine were probably 2 tablespoons

Ingredients 
- 4 1/4 C unsweetened finely shredded coconut (found at whole foods)
- 1 1/4 C sugar
- 1/4 C (6 eggs) egg whites
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract 
- I threw in about 1 tsp almond extract half way through mixing (I'm a big fan of adding things)

1.  Position 2 oven racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven & preheat the oven to 375.  Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.  *I didn't move my racks, I had 2 towards the top of the oven

2.  In a medium saucepan, combine all ingredients and cook, stirring continuously, on medium-low heat until a temperature of 130 degrees is reached on a candy thermometer.  The mixture will seem dry at first, but it will moisten as it cooks.  It will be sticky like mashed potatoes (haha)  Remove the pan from heat & let cool slightly.

3.  Scoop batter into rounded tablespoons and drop them onto the prepared baking sheet, evenly spaced.  Wet your fingers to prevent sticking, use your thumb & fingers to form mounds into pyramid shapes.

4.  Bake for 5 minutes, then rotate baking sheets front to back, and top to bottom.  Bake an additional 5-6 minutes until edges are browned.

5.  Remove from the oven and cool completely on a wire rack

These are best eaten day of (of course)  but you can store them in the fridge for a few days.  I stuck a few in the freezer as well.




Enjoy!
xx Sara

1 comment: