Monday, February 3, 2014

The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies

There is no single item of food that reminds me of home as much as these chocolate chip cookies.  In my house they're better known as "Mom's famous chocolate chip cookies".

They're that good.  Every event or family function, those cookies are sure to make an appearance.  There are almost always a few in the freezer when I'm home.  They're the perfect mix of chocolate, nuts, sweet, gooey... in fact I'm eating one right now. When I moved into my first apartment, my Mom made me laminated copies of a few of my favorite recipes - you better believe these were in there!  Just the smell of them baking alone makes me think of home.  I'm feeling especially nostalgic right now as my parents are in Colorado visiting my brother -- somehow by making these cookies (while wearing my Vail sweatshirt) I feel like I'm there in spirit!


1 cup of melted butter... of course it's delicious

sugars & butter

extreme willpower to not eat this entire bowl with a spoon






































What you'll need:
- 2 C plus 2 Tbs all purpose flour (I used whole wheat)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 C (2 sticks) butter
- 1 C plus 2 Tbs firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 C sugar
- 1 large whole egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 Tbs vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 C semi - sweet chocolate chips
- 1 C walnuts, chopped

Preheat oven to 325

1.  In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt & baking soda.  Set aside
2.  Melt butter - microwave in 30 second intervals
3.  Transfer butter to medium bowl, add both sugars.  Cream together with hand mixer until smooth.
4.  Whisk egg, egg yolk & vanilla into butter mixture
5.  Fold in reserved flour mixture.  Don't over mix
6.  Fold in chips & nuts
7.  Using two large spoons, place golf ball mounds of dough 3 inches apart on baking sheets.  Bake until cookies are golden brown & tops are no longer wet.  12-14 minutes.  Try to undercook them a little.  Move to wire rack & let cool enough to eat.

Enjoy!!

xx Sara





No comments:

Post a Comment