Monday, January 26, 2015

Celebration Cookies


Snowmageddon 2015 is coming for Boston & all practically all of MA, CT & NY for the next few days.  FEET OF SNOW.  So while you're at the grocery store grabbing the essentials - bread, eggs, milk, wine (duh) I suggest you grab the ingredients to make these cookies.  Fresh baked cookies & binge watching Netflix in bed, is there a better way to celebrate a snow storm?!  I love snow... Granted I live in the city, don't have a car and don't need to shovel, but I just think it's so pretty and fun!  It also makes the winter bearable instead of 5 months devoid of all tree life.  I can't wait to prance around in the snow & walk around my neighborhood.  Stay safe!!


Onto cookies! 





The first Christmas I had an apartment in Boston my Mom typed up a few of my favorite recipes, laminated, and wrapped them up for me to recreate home in my new kitchen.  It's one of my favorite gifts I've ever received, and making these family recipes transports me home again.  Among the list of family recipes are Scandinavian Spritz Cookies.  I will always associate these with Christmas because that's the only time we make them, but it's essentially a sugar cookie and can totally (and should) be made all year round!  Last year we made them for the 4th of July and they're now "Celebration Cookies" perfect for all seasons!  This past holiday we made a few batches of reindeer, snowflake and star cookies, all with bright sugar.  You have to plan a little ahead with these cookies as they have to chill out in the fridge for 30 minutes while the almond flavor really melts together.  My brother and I used to (*cough* still do) sneak bites of the dough in the fridge, yum!




My sweet friend Alexis gave me cupcake cookie cutters for Christmas this year and I just neeeeeded to use them.  Back at my apartment, without my Mom whipping up baked goodies, I was craving something sweet, and cupcookies were baked!  I also wanted to try frosting them with an almond milk glaze instead of just sugar, to change it up a bit.



Scandinavian Spritz (celebration) Cookies

2 cups flour sifted*
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup soft butter
3/4 cup granulated sugar 
1 unbeaten egg yolk
1 tsp almond extract

Frosting

1 cup confectionary sugar
2-3 tbsp almond milk - (add more or less depending on desired consistency)
1 tsp vanilla extract
Food dyes
Colored sugar or sprinkles

Note - I used whole wheat white flour as that's what I had on hand, it was slightly nuttier than all purpose white flour

1.  Sift flour with baking powder and salt, set aside
2.  In a large bowl with medium mixing speed, beat butter until very soft.  Gradually beat in sugar until very light and fluffy.  Add egg yolk and almond extract beating until well blended.
3.  With mixer at low speed, gradually add flour mixture beating just until blended.  Wrap in waxed paper and refrigerate for 30 minutes until firm
4.  Preheat oven to 350
5.  Sprinkle water on counter, lay a piece of wax paper on top and lightly sprinkle with flour.  With a floured rolling pin, roll and cut cookies.  Don't roll out too thin or they'll break easily!  Place on ungreased cookie sheet.  If you're not frosting & just adding sugars, decorate now 
6.  Bake 8-10 minutes or until edges are golden, cool on wire rack
7.  While cookies are baking, prepare the frosting - add sugar, vanilla & almond milk to a bowl and beat until creamy.  Add more milk to thin out.  Separate in different containers if using multiple colors
8.  Allow cookies to cool before frosting.  Store in airtight container at room temp, or freeze.

Enjoy!

xo Sara  

No comments:

Post a Comment